We took part in the sustrans Big Walk and Wheel .
Please follow the link to watch the video the Eco Club made about it: Eco Club Big Walk and Wheel
Our school is highly committed to sustaining and enhancing the environment and therefore tries to ensure this is recognised in all areas of the curriculum through our Eco Schools Action Plan targets, assemblies, staff meetings and the Eco Schools notice board in the corridor. Mrs Purba is our Eco Schools Coordinator with Mrs Doherty as Staff Representative.
If you have any comments or issues you would like to raise please contact Mrs Purba who is leading our Eco work.
Eco Club meets in Owls 1 every half term with Mrs Purba ( Eco Schools Coordinator). The children share ideas, plan assemblies and run competitions which help our school to work towards helping our school to achieve its Eco Schools targets. Each class in the school also has their own Eco Monitor voted for by the pupils. The Eco Monitors feedback ideas raised from the meeting, talk in assemblies and voice their passion towards helping our school to be Eco friendly.
More information about Eco Schools can be found at https://www.eco-schools.org.uk/
Our school is very proud to have registered as an Eco School and we are currently working towards the Green Flag award. This recognises our commitment to developing strategies that sustain and enhance resources and the environment. The school has created their own Eco Code, Litter Policy and Green Procurement Policy which is shared by everyone.
Our Eco projects include:
• Eco Monitors elected in each class to ensure everyone is recycling and saving energy.
• Forest Schools
• Eco weeks and recycling art projects
• Year 6 completed Bikeability training.
• EYFS children made minibeast hotel
• Solar Panels
• Low flush toilets installed in KS2
• Ink cartridge recycling
• Pen recycling
• Removal of plastic straws and individual milk cartons
• Recycling of shoes, clothes, bedding, towels and soft toys
• UK wide initiatives such as ‘Great Big School Clean Up’, ‘Big Walk and Wheel’, ‘Switch Off Fortnight’ and ‘What’s Under Our Feet?’
Future Eco projects
• Waste free packed lunch competition
• Building a school greenhouse from recycled plastic bottles.
• Reduction of single use plastics - glue sticks